Tuesday, August 23, 2016

I am from the space between the library shelves in middle school.
I am from the pages of a Dr. Seuss biography,
hidden between biology books and mysteries in my elementary library.
I am from the wedding toast I wrote my brother at fourteen.
I was made from strawberries and bananas at my father’s breakfast table
and late nights of French toast.
I was born from milk and honey,
from beautiful poems and yellow rainboots.
I am learning how to be selfless without erasing
myself in the process,
and balancing my kindness with my backbone.
I am finding my voice written across glossy pages of the school magazine.
I am in love the prospects of tomorrow,
and the kind of hope that makes me still believe in magic.
I am infatuated with memories,
always appreciating those I've made
and constantly striving to to create more.
I am over the rainbow and in clouds,
and I promise to never come down.

“To be soft is to be powerful”   8:37 am



Kelli Volonte
August 22, 2016

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Kelli. I get the soft but strong vibe here and I think I feel that about myself, too. I like the image of the space between the library shelves and the line "I was born from milk and honey." I hope you're able to hold on to your softness and nostalgia and belief in magic. Thanks for sharing here.

    "Having a soft heart in a cruel world is courage not weakness." ~Katherine Hensen

    ReplyDelete