Thursday, October 6, 2016

Memorable Posts

“Just like that. From a hundred miles an hour to asleep in a nanosecond. I wanted so badly to lie down next to her and sleep. Not fuck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together, in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.”
– John Green, Looking for Alaska 
The first time I ever read this quote was on tumblr in middle school. It was probably during seventh grade, the hardest year. Although the knowledge of where it originated from I did not possess, it became sown into the vessels of my heart.
Once I actually read John Green’s book, I fell madly in love with it. It made me want to ditch my life in the middle of no-where and move into a boarding school. In reality, life in such place is unlike its portrayal in the book, but this was one of the beginnings that lead to me imagining another world. A world where the grass was brilliant green with cute suburban houses in a lovely neighborhood that had lawn mower races and barbecues.
I like to think that there will be a time where I’ll actually immense myself in that conception. While I don’t believe in any particular religion, or entire concept of religion in general, I do believe that after we leave the dimension that contains us now, we might actually be able to fulfill the immaculate scenarios that we’ve dreamed of. That is what gives me comfort at night, but also sends my mind spiraling into unimaginable depths of wonder.
Maybe this entire life is just one part of it.
About these ads
Occasionally, some of your visitors may see an advertisement here
You can hide these ads completely by upgrading to one of our paid plans.

2 comments:

  1. I also love this quote. I love it so much. I've never found the time to sit down and read this nook, but I am really wanting to. I think John Green is a fantastic writer, and his work is adored by so many. This quote is a very powerful one showing the character's emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Looking for Alaska and remember being struck by that great drizzle/hurricane simile...I like your closing line just as much: "Maybe this entire life is just one part of it." I don't have any answers in that regard, but it is fascinating to think about...

    ReplyDelete